Mass Effect: Andromeda players are going to have a lot on their mind as they navigate the universe in BioWare’s latest space adventure. And while our Mass Effect: Andromeda guide covers what you need to know to save the day, there’s still one big question you’ll need answered: Who can you romance in Mass Effect: Andromeda?
This handy guide will let you know which characters are romanceable, depending on the gender of your main character.
Thankfully, how you romance your favorite non-playable character isn’t all that complicated. Over time, your character will be able to unlock specific dialogue that will eventually lead down the path for relationship building. As you progress through Mass Effect: Andromeda, you’ll be able to flirt with most NPCs. However you’ll eventually hit a wall depending on which of the two Ryder twins you’re playing as.
The most important thing you need to know about romancing in Mass Effect: Andromeda is that, while you can flirt with most characters, that doesn’t mean they will eventually become romance options (just like in real life!).
To help you save time, here’s a list of which characters you can eventually romance based on the gender of your main character.
MALE RYDER ROMANCE OPTIONS
- Reyes Vidal
- Jaal (as of patch 1.08 — see below for details)
FEMALE RYDER ROMANCE OPTIONS
- Reyes Vidal
HOW TO ROMANCE CHARACTERS
Romancing is fairly simple in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Here are a few basics you need to know to make sure you get to hold hands with your favorite NPC.
- To make sure you’re flirting properly, always use the Flirt dialogue option whenever it shows up. You’ll know it’s available when you see the heart next to it.
- Most characters needs to flirted with about three times before you can begin romancing them.
- Chat early and often with NPCs, as you may miss certain relationship triggers.
- Sometimes, you’ll need more than smooth talk to romance an NPC. Some romance options require Loyalty Missions to be completed to romance them. Also if your romance target makes any additional requests, do those as well.
- You’re also going to want to read all the emails your romance target sends you to hit any relationship triggers.
Update (June 2017)
Mass Effect: Andromeda patch 1.08 brought another romance option for Scott Ryder, and we’ve updated our list above. Here are the details, from a post on the BioWare blog:
Scott Ryder can now pursue Jaal as a romance option. There are several important reasons for this change:
Scott Ryder did not have a same-sex squadmate available as a romance option, nor could the achievement for completing three romances be achieved with only male same-sex partners. And as the angara have expressed their fluidity in how they perceive gender, it seemed only natural that Scott could have a relationship with Jaal.
However, we understand that a character’s orientation is an important part of what makes them feel real. The relationships with your crew are some of the most loved and cherished parts of our games, so we wanted to make sure we got it right. We consulted with members of the LGBTQ community, both externally and within our own studios. After carefully considering all feedback, we decided this was an important change to make, and one that made sense for Jaal, Scott, and the angara.
Our writing, editing, and animation teams worked together to ensure this change made sense for Jaal’s character, and the result is a relationship we hope feels as fulfilling and memorable for Scott as it does for Sara.