Metroid Dread’s Cataris Kraid boss fight pits you against a chained, dragon-like monster. It’s much, much harder than your first fight against Corpius.
Our Metroid Dread Kraid boss fight guide will give you tips for every phase of the fight. We’ll help you defeat the dragon boss and claim the Diffusion Beam suit upgrade.
Kraid (dragon) boss fight
Similar to Corpius, you’ll have to punch open a door before reaching this fight.
Kraid Phase 1 (head)
Kraid has two attacks.
- Kraid throws talons from their hands. Shoot them out of the air with missiles.
- Kraid tosses their head back and spit a bunch of balls at you — a few of which will be on fire. Your best bet is to avoid them — run around with your power beam pointed up.
Your goal throughout this phase is to shoot Kraid in the head with a missile, and then shoot them in the mouth with more missiles. Not the nose, not the neck. Inside their mouth. Meanwhile, the projectiles will provide you with health and missiles.
Pin yourself as far to the left as you can, and just keep unloading missiles as fast as you can — seriously, spam the Hell out of the button — into the projectiles and their head.
Kraid Phase 2 (belly)
Phase 2 has you fighting against Kraid’s belly. There are three attacks to watch for.
- Bouncing balls that ricochet back and forth. Shoot or avoid these.
- Gooey acid balls that splash on the ground. Jump over these.
- Three spikes that shoot horizontally. Switch to Morph Ball mode to duck beneath these attacks.
Your goal in this phase is to shoot the purple spot on their belly a whole bunch. You don’t need missiles here. Your power beam will work.
A good way to deal with this phase is to stand near the left side, and use a Charge Beam to shoot both a projectile out of the air and their belly hole at the same time. Alternately, just unload regular power beam shots as fast as you can.
After enough damage, they’ll cover the belly and launch one last spike attack. After that, a Spider Magnet panel will lower. Hop on to ride up to phase 3.
Kraid Phase 3 (head, via spider magnet panel)
Phase 3 is a lot like the first phase, but you’re stuck to a Spider Magnet panel. Focus on shooting the projectiles and unload missiles into Kraid’s mouth.
There are two attacks to watch for here.
- Kraid’s right hand (far side) will pull back and swipe at you. You have a chance to Melee Counter and deal some extra damage.
- Kraid’s left hand (near side) will pull back and punch forward. You can’t dodge this, so just drop off the panel.
Any time you fall, you’ll need to repeat phase 2.
Diffusion Beam suit upgrade
- Diffusion Beam suit upgrade.
- Teleportal (Purple).