Modern Warfare 3 will see a multiplayer beta over two weekends in October, including an open beta for all players.
As with the previous Modern Warfare games, the beta will first be exclusive to PlayStation owners, with a period of early access for those with a beta code. The second weekend will have a similarly staggered access for all consoles, with PlayStation players continuing to have open access before all platforms through an open beta.
In short, if you are on PlayStation and have a Modern Warfare 3 pre-order, you will have the most amount of time possible with the beta — and for those who don’t pre-order and are playing on another console, you’ll have to wait until partway through the second weekend to play.
Here’s when Modern Warfare 3’s beta releases, how to get access during beta weekend 2, how to get a beta code, and everything else we know about what to expect with the open beta.
Modern Warfare 3 beta dates
Modern Warfare 3’s beta takes place across two weekends — the first exclusive to PlayStation — with both offering a period of early access with a beta code.
Here are the Modern Warfare 3 beta dates, and for which platforms:
Modern Warfare 3 beta weekend 1 (Oct 7-10, PlayStation only)
- Friday, Oct. 6, to Saturday, Oct. 7 (PlayStation early access)
- Sunday, Oct. 8, to Tuesday, Oct. 10 (PlayStation open beta)
Modern Warfare 3 beta weekend 2 (Oct 12-16, all platforms)
- Thursday, Oct. 12, to Friday, Oct. 13 (PC and Xbox early access, PlayStation open beta)
- Saturday, Oct. 14, to Monday, Oct. 16 (PC, Xbox, and PlayStation open beta)
Modern Warfare 3 open beta start time: When is 10 a.m. Pacific in your region?
The second beta weekend is currently under way, with the final phase — a Modern Warfare 3 open beta for all platforms — starting on Saturday, Oct. 14 at the following times:
- 10 a.m. PDT for the West Coast of North America
- 1 p.m. EDT for the East Coast of North America
- 6 p.m. BST for the U.K.
- 7 p.m. CEST for west mainland Europe
- 2 a.m. JST in Japan (the following day)
In short, every new phase will sync with 10 a.m. PDT, meaning an evening start in Europe and a late morning or early afternoon start in the Americas.
How to get a Modern Warfare 3 beta code
Each platform has a period of early access on their respective weekends, which can be accessed through a beta code.
To get a Modern Warfare 3 beta code, you can:
- Pre-order the game. If you have pre-ordered digitally, you’ll be automatically be granted access on your chosen platform, while physical orders will receive a beta code from that retailer.
- Participate in the official giveaway. By logging into the official Call of Duty website and visiting this page, you have a chance of earning a code.
- In the US, Xfinity Rewards members can claim a code, with details here.
- In the UK, EE is also hosting a giveaway of its own, which appears to be open to non-EE members.
In summary, the only guaranteed way of getting a code is by pre-ordering, but as shown, there are multiple methods available if you prefer to.
Remember, you can still access the beta without pre-ordering — you’ll just have to wait for the open beta period to begin on Saturday, Oct. 14.
Though all versions of Modern Warfare 3 will grant pre-order access, you can use certain Vault Edition perks — the Nemesis Operator Pack and Fate Weapon Vaults — in the open beta as well as the full game, if you decide to opt for that over the standard edition.
How to redeem a Modern Warfare 3 beta code
If you have a beta code, you can redeem the code on the official Call of Duty website. Log into your Call of Duty/Activision account (or create one if you haven’t already), enter the code, and select your platform and region.
From there, a code will be emailed to the email address registered to your account soon before the beta period begins.
As mentioned above, if you digitally pre-ordered Modern Warfare 3 (through PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Steam, or Battle.net) then you’ll have automatic access — there’s no beta code required.
What is featured in the Modern Warfare 3 beta?
Here’s everything we can expect from the beta as we enter the second weekend:
- Seven maps, including Highrise, Favela, Estate, Rust, Skidrow, and Ground War maps Popov Power Plant and Orlov Military Base
- Five modes (Team Deathmatch, Domination, Hardpoint, Kill Confirmed, Ground War)
- Cross-play between all platforms
- Player level cap of 30, an increase of 10 following the level 20 cap in weekend one
- As with previous Call of Duty betas, progress will not carry over to the full game, but for PlayStation owners, will carry over from one beta weekend to the next.