An expedition is just a fancy way of saying “not in the city.” You begin an expedition any time you leave the city through one of the gates or when you wander off after completing an investigation quest. Expeditions are about exploration, practice and collecting stuff. There’s no goal and no success or failure in an expedition. It’s the term for when you’re out in the open worth without having posted a quest.
What they’re good for
Expeditions are open-ended and self-determined, so you’re not limited by time or a necessary outcome.
- You’re free to explore and get used to a new area.
- Gatherable materials get added to your map when you first grab them, so you can wander freely and get a bunch added without worrying about anything else.
- Expeditions let you finish off a bounty without having to take on an entire (usually challenging) investigation.
- If you’re new to an area, expeditions let you collect research points that will, in time, trigger new investigations.
- They’re also good for restocking your item or ammo pouch without the time constraint of an assigned quest or investigation.