In New Pokémon Snap, Shiver Snowfields has two alternate routes to take. To find them, you need to take pictures of specific Pokémon. As they run away from you, they’ll showcase special routes. These paths are actually completely covered in snow and the Neo-One will plow straight through the snow to the new areas.
In this New Pokémon Snap guide, we’ll explain how to unlock Shivering Snowfields’ alternate areas.
Shivering Snowfields during the day
- Go to Shivering Snowfields during the day.
- Take a photo of the Alolan Sandslash that is on top of the snow mound to your left, at the first area. The Sandslash will notice you taking a photo and dig to hide.
- It will pop back up a bit further and higher in the same area, on the left again. Take another photo of it, and it’ll hide again.
4. The Sandslash will reappear at the end of the starting area, before the hill that the Swinub climb. It will dig through the snowmound to the right of the Swinub.
5. Use your scanner to walk the newly opened alternate route. (During the day, this route doesn’t have much in it, as there’s a blizzard and it’s hard to see.)
6. Complete the level as you normally would.
Shivering Snowfields at night
- Go to Shivering Snowfields during the night.
- Take the newly opened route. (You won’t have to do anything to unlock it again.)
- Use an Illumina Orb on the Crabominable. This will power it up, allowing it to deliver a strong punch to a nearby tree, causing snow to fall on an Abomasnow. The Abomasnow will get mad, triggering a small snow storm.
- After Abomasnow does this, a Froslass will appear from behind a tree to the left. Take a photo of it.
- The Froslass will notice you taking a picture and hide, similar to the Sandslash. She’ll reveal yet another mound of snow that you can pass through.
- Use the scanner to go down the new route.
Once you unlock these routes, they’ll stay unlocked and you won’t have to go through this very long process again. When the second route is unlocked at night, you’ll also be able to access it during the day.
These newly opened routes give access to new Pokémon, like Dewgong, Avalugg, and most importantly, Suicune. To get Suicune to show up, you’ll need to throw an Illumina Orb at the Jynx riding the Avalugg in the second alternate route.