Pokémon Go is hosting a dark-type event, Luminous Legends Y, to celebrate the addition of Legendary Yveltal to the game. The event takes place May 18-24, so you’ll have plenty of time to load up on dark-type Pokémon.
In this Pokémon Go guide, we’ll list out all the different types of research tasks you can get and list the other perks that the Luminous Legends Y event has to offer.
The spawn rates for dark-type Pokémon like Alolan Grimer, Poochyena, and Carvanha will be increased throughout the event period. Spritzee, Swirlix, and Goomy, which all were released during the last event, will also continue to have an increased spawn rate.
Yveltal is also appearing in five-star raids for the first time.
There’s also a ton of event-based Field Research to complete that reward lots of new and rare Pokémon. You’ll need to spin PokéStops during the event to get these.
Pokémon Go Luminous Legends Y Field Research and rewards
|Defeat a Team Go Rocket Leader||Galarian Zigzagoon encounter|
|Purify 4 Shadow Pokémon||Spritzee or Swirlix encounter|
|Win 2 raids||Scraggy encounter|
|Catch 5 shadow Pokémon||Skorupi encounter|
|Defeat 5 Team Go Rocket grunts||Alolan Meowth encounter|
|Defeat 2 Team Go Rocket grunts||Murkrow, Houndour, or Liepard encounter|
Luminous Legends Y Timed Research and rewards
There’s also Timed Research, which rewards lure modules and a Deino encounter.
Step 1 of 7
- Defeat 5 Team Go Rocket grunts (15 Poké Balls)
- Catch 5 shadow Pokémon (Meowth encounter)
- Catch 5 dark-type Pokémon (Rattata encounter)
Reward: 1,000 XP, Stunky encounter
Step 2 of 7
- Purify 3 shadow Pokémon (5 Hyper Potions)
- Purify 5 shadow Pokémon (3 Revives)
- Catch 7 shadow Pokémon (1 Mysterious Component)
Reward: 2,000 XP, Alolan Rattata encounter
Step 3 of 7
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (2,000 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (2,000 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (2,000 XP)
Reward: 2,000 XP, Murkrow encounter
Step 4 of 7
- Purify 8 shadow Pokémon (1 Mossy Lure Module)
- Evolve 8 Pokémon (Eevee encounter)
- Earn 8 hearts with your buddy (1 Glacial Lure Module)
Reward: 3,000 XP, Mightyena encounter
Step 5 of 7
- Defeat 8 Team Go Rocket grunts (7 Pinap Berries)
- Use an Incense (Galarian Zigzagoon encounter)
- Catch 20 dark-type Pokémon (1 Glacial Lure Module)
Reward: 3,000 XP, Meowth encounter
Step 6 of 7
- Complete 7 Field Research Tasks (10 Great Balls)
- Win 1 raid (Houndoom encounter)
- Catch 5 different species of dark-type Pokémon (Grimer encounter)
Reward: 4,000 XP, Absol encounter
Step 7 of 7
- Purify 10 Shadow Pokémon (1 Poffin)
- Defeat a Team Go Rocket Leader 3 times (Galarian Zigzagoon encounter)
- Catch 12 Shadow Pokémon (Larvitar encounter)
Reward: 5,000 Stardust, Deino encounter