Pokémon Go’s PvP system, the Go Battle League, allows trainers to face off against others and climb the ranks for rewards. Our Pokémon Go guide will detail how the Go Battle League works and how to rank up.
The Go Battle League is broken up into seasons, with each season having different rewards. In each season, the three different Leagues rotate in and out. Great League is for Pokémon at 1,500 CP and below. Ultra League is for Pokémon at 2,500 CP and below. Master League is for Pokémon above 2,500 CP.
The best Pokémon to use in Pokémon Go’s PvP system depends on which league you want to battle in, and the best Pokémon changes frequently. You’ll want a diverse team of Pokémon with a variety of move types to counter your opponent and win. GamePress has a great tier list of Pokémon organized by Great League, Ultra League, and Master League.
PvP battles in Pokémon Go function the same way Team Go Rocket battles do. Tap the screen to use your Pokémon’s fast move, and after you’ve charged up enough, you can tap the circle on the screen to use their charge move. When you or your opponent uses a charge move, the other player will have the opportunity to block it with a shield. Each player only has three shields to use.
Players are ranked between 1 and 10, with rank 10 being the current highest. To rank up, you’ll have to complete the following requirements:
- Rank 1 requirement: N/A
- Rank 2 requirement: Complete five battles as rank 1
- Rank 3 requirement: Complete five battles as rank 2
- Rank 4 requirement: Complete five battles as rank 3
- Rank 5 requirement: Win five battles as rank 4
- Rank 6 requirement: Win seven battles as rank 5
- Rank 7 requirement: Win 10 battles as rank 6
- Rank 8 requirement: Reach a battle rating of 1,800 or higher
- Rank 9 requirement: Reach a battle rating of 2,100 or higher
- Rank 10 requirement: Reach a battle rating of 2,700 or higher
Losing battles will not decrease your rank, but they lower your rating once you hit rank 8 or higher. You’ll gain rating by winning and lose it by losing. The players you match against at this point will have similar ratings to yours.