The Indigo Disk, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s second DLC, brings back Inkay and its funky evolution method. To evolve Inkay into Malamar, you’ll need to hold your Nintendo Switch upside down, which should be simple, but there are some other issues you may run into while trying it out yourself.
Below, we detail where to find a Inkay and how to evolve it into Malamar in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
Where to find Inkay in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
You can find Inkay in the waters in the following areas:
There’s a bunch of them swimming around. It’s actually kind of hard to get around this area without running into one.
How to evolve Inkay into Malamar in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
To evolve Inkay into Malamar, your Inkay has to be at least level 30 and, while it levels, you have to be holding your Nintendo Switch console upside down. Yep, you need to take it out of the dock. You can level it from battling or from using Rare Candy, but you just need to make sure your Switch is inverted when it levels.
If the method isn’t working for you, troubleshoot by ensuring you’re following these guidelines:
- You are holding your Nintendo Switch, with Joy-Cons inserted, upside down.
- You have no other controllers (like a Pro Controller) connected to it.
Some players have reported that they are striking out when using third-party Joy-Cons, but we can’t confirm this at the moment.
Just starting out
- 10 things to know before starting Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Scarlet and Violet
- Which Scarlet and Violet starter is the best?
- Type strength and weakness chart
- Tera Types, explained
- Badge order and progression guide
- Everything you should know about Koraidon and Miraidon
- Why you should take Academy classes
- How to change your Pokémon’s names
- How Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s multiplayer works (and doesn’t)
- How to get mystery gifts in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
- How to easily shiny hunt
- The definitive guide to Tera Raids
- Can you Nuzlocke Scarlet and Violet?
- How to transfer your save data
- Victory Road (gyms, Elite Four, and Champion) 11
- Starfall Street & Path of Legends 7
Filling out your Pokédex
- Complete regional Paldea Pokédex
- Pokémon Violet and Scarlet exclusives list
- Link trade codes for starter and version exclusive Pokémon
- How to find shiny Pokémon
- Where to find Eevee
- Where to find Zorua
- Where to find Ditto
- How to get Paradox Pokémon
- Chi-Yu shrine and stake (blue) locations
- Ting-Lu shrine and stake (yellow/green) locations
- Chien-Pao shrine and stake (orange/gold) locations
- Wo-Chien shrine and stake (purple) locations
- How to transfer Pokémon between Scarlet and Violet and Home
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet special evolutions guide
- How to evolve Tandemaus into Maushold
- How to evolve Pawmo into Pawmot
- How to evolve Charcadet into Amarouge/Ceruledge
- How to evolve Girafarig into Farigiraf
- How to evolve Greavard into Houndstone
- How to evolve Dunsparce into Dudunsparce
- How to evolve Rellor into Rabsca
- How to evolve Bisharp into Kingambit
- How to evolve Bramblin into Brambleghast
- How to evolve Finizen into Palafin
- How to evolve Primeape into Annihilape
- How to evolve Gimmighoul into Gholdengo
Training powerful Pokémon
- Full TM list, locations, and crafting recipes
- Where to find hold items (Destiny Knot, Leftovers, etc.)
- Eggs and breeding
- How to change a Pokémon’s Tera Type
- How to make the best sandwiches
- How to farm EXP and EXP Candy
- How to farm money
- Full sandwich and ingredient list
- How to relearn old moves
- How to raise IVs (Individual Values)
- How to train EVs (Effort Values)
- How to change natures
The Teal Mask DLC Guides
- Complete Kitakami Pokédex
- How to catch Ogerpon, and what its masks mean
- How to get the ‘Loyal Three’ Pokémon: Okidogi, Munkidori, and Fezandipiti
- How to get Bloodmoon Ursaluna
- What is a ‘lovey-dovey’ Pokémon?
- Ogre Clan member locations
- How to evolve Feebas into Milotic
- How to evolve Poltchageist into Sinistcha
- How to evolve Applin into Dipplin
- How to evolve Basculin into Basculegion
- How to evolve Gurdurr into Conkeldurr
- How to evolve Gligar into Gliscor
- How to evolve Poliwhirl
- How to evolve Lampent into Chandelure
- How to evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine
- How to evolve Phantump into Trevenant
- The Indigo Disk DLC Guides 9
The next level of puzzles.
Take a break from your day by playing a puzzle or two! We’ve got SpellTower, Typeshift, crosswords, and more.
Sign up for the newsletter Patch Notes
A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon