It’s not an overstatement to say that Gourd Seeds keep you alive in Sekiro. Every one you collect and hand over to Emma adds one use of your Healing Gourd.
There are a total of nine Gourd Seeds to find over the course of the game (bringing your Healing Gourd uses up to 10). The first few are rewards for defeating bosses, but the rest take a little more work (and are easy to miss if you’re not careful). This guide will tell you the locations of all nine Gourd Seeds.
Ashina Outskirts Gourd Seeds
The first three Gourd Seeds in the Ashina Outskirts are associated with bosses and mini-bosses.
Boss fight Gourd Seeds
- General Naomori Kawarada. (Ashina Outskirts > Outskirts Wall – Gate Path) Defeating the game’s first mini-boss will earn you your first Gourd Seed.
- Chained Ogre. (Ashina Outskirts > Outskirts Wall – Stairway) Right after you defeat the Chained Ogre, the next Gourd Seed is in the hall above you.
- Gyoubu Oniwa. (Ashina Outskirts > Ashina Castle Gate Fortress) The third Gourd Seed in the Ashina Outskirts is a reward for defeating Gyoubu Oniwa.
Merchant Gourd Seeds
Fujioka the Info Broker. You’ll meet this NPC a little past the Ashina Castle > Ashina Castle Sculptor’s Idol — he’s up the stairs on the right side. After you clear the enemies, he’ll move to the Dilapidated Temple and act as a merchant there. He’ll see you a Gourd Seed for 2,000 sen.
Ashina Castle Gourd Seeds
Upper Tower – Antechamber. As you fight your way up Ashina Tower, you’ll eventually arrive at the Ashina Castle > Upper Tower – Antechamber Sculptor’s Idol. The Gourd Seed is waiting for you in a chest there.
Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo Gourd Seeds
Corrupted Monk. From the Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo > Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo Sculptor’s Idol, head up the hill, past all the monks, and into the temple with all the crickets. In the room with the three praying monks and a corrupted monk, the Gourd Seed is behind the shrine in front of them. (This is right before you meet the old woman where you fly the kite.)
Sunken Valley Gourd Seeds
- From the Sunken Valley > Under-Shrine Valley Sculptor’s Idol, head forward.
- Jump across to take out the first rifleman.
- Take the left branch in the path and grapple up to the branch, then across to the ledges. Take out the rifleman there.
- Climb the wall on your left. Head through the tunnel, and take out the rifleman.
- Grapple across to another set of ledges, and take out one more rifleman.
- Climb the wall on your left (again).
- At the top, there’s a small shelter. The Gourd Seed is inside.
Ashina Depths Gourd Seeds
Mibu Village. From the Ashina Depths > Mibu Village Sculptor’s Idol, head into the village. At about the halfway point, there’s a very distinct tree covered in white flowers. The Gourd Seed is at its base.
Fountainhead Palace Gourd Seeds
Palace Grounds. All the way through the Fountainhead Palace, past all the Nobles and the Giant Carp, you’ll reach the Fountainhead Palace > Palace Grounds Sculptor’s Idol. Just past that idol is a building with some more (less healthy) Nobles inside. In the hallway after the first room, you’ll find a chest with the final Gourd Seed inside.