Each of the 16 colossi you fight during Shadow of the Colossus is a puzzle to solve. You have to find where it’s hiding in the world. Then you have to figure out how to get close to it. And finally you have to figure out how to reach its magic sigil weak points and kill it.
This guide will take you from the Shrine of Worship through defeating the fourth colossus. We’ll also point out any shrines, lizards or fruit trees along the way.
Finding the Colossus
- Your sword will point you east-southeast this time. If you look carefully, you can see a canyon in the cliff there. That’s your goal.
- Ride through the canyon all the way to the other end. It’ll take a lot of twists and turns, but there are no branches.
- You’ll get a brief cutscene at the other end, but you’re not quite there yet. Turn to the right and follow the narrow ledge all the way down to the field below you.
- Cross the field with the barrows heading generally to the left. The colossus is in a small field over there.
Collectibles along the way
There are no lizards, shrines or fruit trees on the way from the Shrine of Worship to the fourth colossus.
Approaching Colossus 4
(We grabbed the images above from a time attack run — that’s why there’s a timer in the upper right corner. The method for defeating the colossus is identical though.)
- Once you get the colossus’ attention, turn around and head back to the barrows.
- Dismount Agro and hop into one of the underground tunnels. You want the colossus to see you do this, so use your bow to make sure it notices. It’ll come over and stomp around above you — that’s what you want.
- You have two choices here. You can wait right where you are until it lowers its head and you can climb those dangly things hanging off of its face. There’s a lot of waiting in this approach, though. We prefer an easier way.
- Once the colossus is focused on the grave you dropped into, run through the underground tunnel to one of the other entrances.
- Sneak back to the surface. You don’t want the colossus to see you, or you’ll have to start over.
- Wait for the colossus to squat down over the barrow (this is the same point you could climb its dangly face bits), then run up behind it.
- Jump onto the ledges that hang off its tail and climb up onto its back.
Defeating Colossus 4
- If you climbed up the dangling parts, you’ll be right on the magic sigil. All you have to do is stab until it drops.
- If you came up along its back like we suggested, you’ve got an extra step. Make your way forward to the colossus’ shoulders. Any time it tries to shake you off, crouch down and hold on.
- There’s a weak point right between the colossus’ shoulder blades. Stab it, and it’ll lower its head. That’ll let you go past the armor-collar and drop onto its head.
- If your timing is good, you’ll be able to squeeze in a fully charged stab in between the colossus’ attempts to shake you off. And it will try to shake you off a lot. Don’t worry too much about the full charge, though. Just keep dealing damage.
- Let go and recharge your stamina any time the colossus raises its head.
- Just keep stabbing until it falls.