In the final of Splatoon 2’s five sectors, you’ll have to defeat one last boss: Octobot King II, piloted by DJ Octavio. This fight consists of four phases, with each getting just a little harder and faster than the last. For the most part, you only have a couple things to do: Get out of the way and wait for an opening.
Each of the boss fights is unique, though, so we’ve got videos and tips for all five. Watch the video and remember our tips and you won’t get splatted (as much).
How to beat Octobot King II
The final boss battle is tough. It’s got four phases instead of three and each phase is hard on its own — making all four of them together kind of exhausting.
- Throughout the first three phases, shoot as much ink as you can all around you. Whenever you’re not shooting at the Octobot King II, you should be shooting at the ground. You’re going to be doing a lot of dodging, so you really can’t afford to be slowed down by enemy ink.
- You’re watching for one thing only: When the Octobot’s fist glows pink and is not spinning. When it throws a punch, it’s moving slow enough that you can shoot the punching fist out of the air.
- If the fist is spinning, your only job is to get out of the way. Use this time to spread some more ink around.
- Between punches, the Octobot will toss out grenades. If you’ve been spraying ink all over, you should have enough time to get (mostly) out of the way.
- Just keep waiting for those slow-moving punches and shooting them out of the air. This fight boils down to a long, drawn-out game of “stop hitting yourself.”
- The second and third phase of the fight are more of the same, just … more — more grenades, more spinning fists, more danger. Just keep spraying ink everywhere to give yourself an escape route.
- Phase four is a little different — you’re riding a rail and you’re armed with a missile launcher. But your goal is the same — keep playing “stop hitting yourself” while avoiding getting hit yourself.
- Avoiding those hits is all about timing. Jumping back and forth between the rails isn’t going to be enough to protect you. You’re going to have to jump at the last minute to avoid getting punched.