In this Star Wars: Squadrons walkthrough, we’ll help you with tips and tricks for completing Mission 2: The Skies of Yavin.
Polygon’s Star Wars: Squadrons guides and walkthroughs help you navigate more than a dozen missions set in a galaxy far, far away. For Mission 2, we’ll help you learn to use ion missiles, focus your shields, and earn a tricky mission medal.
We didn’t want our guides to become narrative novels, so we skipped useless advice like “follow the squad leader.” Instead, every Squadrons walkthrough begins with general tips for the mission, followed by specific strategies for difficult sections and objectives. We wrap up with advice about earning mission medals.
Mission 2: The Skies of Yavin walkthrough
Vanguard Squadron is heading to Yavin Prime to help out Talus Group and capture a Star Destroyer, the Victorum.
Mission 2 tips
- You’ve got a slightly different loadout for this mission — specifically, you’ve got Ion Missiles, which disable shields and fighters, opening enemies up to your squadron mates.
- Gunny’s with you again, so Request Resupply whenever it’s available.
- The biggest thing you’ll learn in this mission is how to Focus your shields to the front or back. After you use it, make sure to rebalance them (only a single button press away) so you’re not leaving yourself vulnerable. And remember to Maximize Shield Power (press right on the D-pad for the green lights) when you’re not fighting.
- You’ll have to press a button to lock on and scan parts of the Star Destroyer to find a breach point. Don’t slow down too much while scanning, or you’ll get pummeled by the turrets.
- To get this mission’s Intelligence Operative Medal, head to the (potential) breach point on the back side of the Victorum’s command tower first. (It’s a hint in the mission briefing, too.)
Optional: Destroy the Interceptors Chasing Frisk
At one point during the fight, Frisk will call for help. A couple of TIE Interceptors will be marked by blue dots with white chevrons. Focus on those to get both this objective and the Trusty Wingmate Medal.
Mission 2 Medals
- Mission Complete. Completed Mission 2.
- Efficiency Medal. Completed Mission 2 in 13 minutes or less.
- Enduring Service Medal. Completed Mission 2 without dying.
- Trusty Wingmate. Saved Frisk from a deadly tail.
This objective pops up while you’re already surrounded by enemies. To help Frisk, locate the enemy ships marked with blue icons. You’ll have to disengage from the area you’re currently in and fly over to Frisk to take care of the enemies targeting him.
- Intelligence Operative. Discovered the Victorum’s breach point on the first scan.
If you paid attention during the mission briefing, you’ll remember that they call out the back of the Victorum as the weak point. Instead of scanning all the other sections that appear, go directly to the back of the ship and scan that section first.