In this Star Wars: Squadrons walkthrough, we’ll help you with tips and tricks for completing Mission 9: Chaos at Mon Cala, in which the Imperials head to Mon Cala in an attempt to distract the New Republic.
Polygon’s Star Wars: Squadrons guides and walkthroughs help you navigate more than a dozen missions set in a galaxy far, far away. Beyond general strategies for Mission 9, we’ll help you with the Destroy Two Transport Ships and Destroy Shield Generators objectives.
We didn’t want our guides to become narrative novels, so we skipped useless advice like “follow the squad leader.” Instead, every Squadrons walkthrough begins with general tips for the mission, followed by specific strategies for difficult sections and objectives. We wrap up with advice about earning mission medals.
Mission 9: Chaos at Mon Cala walkthrough
Mission 9 tips
- This is the most varied mission yet, with strafing runs on stationary targets, lots of capital ship attacks, and plenty of dogfighting. Take that into consideration when choosing your ship.
- We like the TIE Fighter with a mostly standard loadout for this mission. We used the dampener hull — because missiles are annoying — and swapped the repair kit for rockets — they’ll come in handy while attacking the big ships like the Medical Frigate.
- There are a few phases to this mission, so pay attention to your objectives. If your objective is only to Destroy Anvil Fighters, do that. Don’t get distracted by Corvettes or other targets of opportunity once you’re done because they’ll only drag out your mission (and wear down your hull and ammo supply).
- Aside from the undefended fuel pods you attack at the very beginning of this mission, everything else you attack will have laser turrets and missiles and a squadron of fighters around it. Always keep moving, even when you’re trying to focus fire on one specific thing. Slowing to a stop is a death sentence.
- This is a great mission to focus on learning to use your Targeting Wheel. This lets you choose between categories of targets like All Enemies, All Allies, or Objectives for your Cycle Target to cycle through. There will also be a lot of opportunities to use Target My Attacker. We’ll explain more below.
Objective: Destroy Two Transport Ships
After your first dogfight against Anvil Squadron, you’ll head to a new location. Here, you’ll find five GR-75 Transports and their fighter escorts.
By default, your Targeting Wheel (hold left trigger on console controllers) is set to Objectives. This means that hitting the button to Cycle Targets will only cycle through Objective-related targets — in this case, the transports. Cycle Targets won’t pick out a fighter for you to track. (You can still target them with the Select Target Ahead button, though.)
While your only real targets in this section are two of the transports, you’re going to be harassed by fighters throughout. Switch the Targeting Wheel to All Enemies to add them to the cycle. You don’t have to take them all out, but thinning the escorts will make your job a lot easier.
If you continue blowing up transports (you monster), you’ll get the No Cargo Medal for this mission.
Another way to handle getting bothered by enemy fighters is to double tap the Cycle Targets button. This will Target My Attacker, making the last ship to fire on you your new target. If you’re taking a lot of damage from behind, double tap that button, and you’ll be able to track down whoever was after you.
Once they’re targeted, you can also use Squad Commands to call in your squadmates to take them out.
Objective: Destroy Shield Generators
Once the Silver Coronet arrives, you’ll get objectives to take out some of it’s systems, starting with its shield generators.
Use your Targeting Wheel again, and select Flagship Systems. This will cycle through parts of the flagship — the Silver Coronet — that you can target individually. Don’t forget to change it back to Objectives or All Enemies when you’re done, though.
Mission 9 Medals
- Mission Complete. Completed Mission 9.
- Efficiency Medal. Completed Mission 9 in 13 minutes or less.
- Enduring Service Medal. Completed Mission 9 without dying.
No Mercy. Destroyed the Medical Frigate.
The Medical Frigate is slow, but you’ll still face some resistance fighting it. Unload your cannons and missiles on it while also using the targeting ping to make your teammates focus on it as well.
No Cargo. Destroyed All Cargo Ships.
When you reach the second section of this mission, you’ll be tasked with only destroying two of the large transport ships. Once you complete that objective, you’re informed that you can finish the rest or move onto the next objective. Dispose of the remaining ships to earn this medal.