The Sims 4 has a shockingly in-depth gardening system, that isn’t too hard to get started with. At its most basic level, gardening in The Sims 4 is just buying or finding seeds, planting them, tending to them, and harvesting them. However, depending on the Expansion Packs you have and your dedication to gardening, it can be much more than this.
If you have the Seasons Expansion Pack, you can also chose a Gardener career, and you’ll definitely need to work on your Sim’s Gardening skill levels to get promotions. If you’re too lazy to go through all the training to upgrade your skill level, you can always use a cheat code.
Our The Sims 4 guide explains how to get started in gardening and how to start dabbling into advanced gardening techniques.
Planting and upkeeping your garden
To get started with gardening in The Sims 4, here’s all you need to do:
- Have you Sim order seed packets via their phone or computer.
- Open the seed packets that will appear in your Sm’s inventory. This will give you full flowers or produce, rather than actual seeds.
- Drag the produce or flower that came out of the seed packet to where you want to plant it. Gardens can be made on bare earth on your lot or in pots.
- Select the produce or flower or choice and select “plant.”
You did it! You planted your first few plants. You will need to water and weed them, which will show up as selectable options as necessary, so it’s important to check on the plants every now and then.
If you have the Seasons Expansion Pack, you’ll need to also make sure the crop you’re growing is in season, which the plant will say when you hover over it.
Once you tend to a plant long enough, the option to evolve it will appear, allowing it to produce higher quality product.
Increasing your Gardening skill level
Your Gardening skill level will increase as you tend to your plants, but you can also buy gardening books and have your Sim read those to increase your skill level. After your Sim reaches Gardening skill level 2, they’ll be able to research plants on a computer, which will also increase their Gardening skill level further.
As you hit certain skill levels, you can unlock more actions to help with your gardening:
- Gardening skill level 1: Plant, harvest, water, weed, and sell plants, buy Starter, Seasonal, and Catnip Seed Packets
- Gardening skill level 2: Research plants, water areas at once, evolve plants, research gardening on the computer
- Gardening skill level 3: Fertilize plants
- Gardening skill level 4: Talk to plants, harvest areas at once
- Gardening skill level 5: Take cuttings of plants, grafting plants
- Gardening skill level 6: Weed areas at once
- Gardening skill level 7: Buy Uncommon and Farmer’s Seed Packets, spray areas for bugs
- Gardening skill level 8: Overgrow Bonsais, super sell plants
- Gardening skill level 9: Tend garden (waters and weeds entire areas at once)
- Gardening skill level 10: Buy Rare Seed Packets
Once your Sim reaches Gardening skill level 5, you can start grafting plants. This is the only way to obtain some of the rare gardening items in The Sims 4. To do this, you’ll need to cut off a piece of one plant and graft it on to a target plant. This will allow a hybrid plant to grow, allowing for the growth of multiple produce at once.
Once you graft a plant, the target plant will need time to grow again. We’ve tabled out combinations for grafting below, courtesy of The Sims 4 Fandom Wiki.
The Sims 4 garden grafting combinations
|Plant 1||Plant 2||Result|
|Plant 1||Plant 2||Result|
|Tulip||Chrysanthemum||Bird of Paradise|