You’ll use the experience points (EXP) you earn in Yakuza 6 to make Kiryu (even) better at punching. There are other skills that affect everything from from digestion to talking to women, but punching is where most of the points will go.
Just about every task you complete in Yakuza 6 will earn you experience points, but you’ll also earn them as you play through awards. There are 285 awards divided across five categories.
You can check the awards you earned and the ones that are still available with the awards app on your phone. If you’re looking for some quick EXP, this can be a good way to grab a few points just by playing video games or eating a meal.
- Adventure. Adventure awards are generic playing-the-game awards. You can earn them doing things like talking to people, riding in taxis, walking, sprinting and eating all go toward adventure awards.
- Battle. With all the punching that Kiryu does, you’ll earn a lot of battle awards. Defeating people on the street, using objects and weapons in fights and wearing stat-boosting gear all go toward your battle awards.
- Substories. You’ll get an award for completing each of Yakuza 6’s 52 sub-story missions.
- Minigames. The two towns you’ll explore are full of distractions and entertainment options. Playing darts, baseball and video games, hanging out in the cabaret club and befriending stray cats all earn you minigame awards.
- Clan creator. Clan creator is a special kind of minigame in Yakuza 6. It’s a kind of team management combined with tower defense game. Adding members to your clan, winning battles and completing missions all earn you clan creator awards.