How to find Maag Halan shrine: Maag Halan is located in northern Hyrule, in the Woodland Tower region. It is one of the forest trials offered in Kokiri Forest, and you can access it by heading along the trail leading northeast from the clearing, toward Mido Swamp. The shrine only appears once you complete The Test of Wood shrine quest. (Browse the gallery for the precise location.)
How to clear the The Test of Wood shrine quest
- Meet with Damia. You need to have room in your inventory to receive a sword, bow and shield.
- Accept the quest, and keep in mind the rules: you can't unequip the gear provided, and you lose if any of it is destroyed.
- Race straight forward along the grassy path.
- Dodge the attacking keese and keep going, since you want to save your sword for emergencies and you can easily outrun the bats.
- As a chuchu enemy hops your way among the tall grass, turn to the right and run in that direction.
- You will see a stack of crates. Ahead of that, veer left and scale a short fence, then hop over another fence just to the right and proceed to a grassy trail with bokoblin skeletons flanking it.
- Continue through that area, watching out for elemental arrows fired by enemies on the high rocks. You likely have bats still chasing you, and ahead there is an electric chuchu. Let the archers take out your enemies with their shots, but be careful to avoid taking damage yourself or whipping out your shield (which will just burn away).
- Ahead, there is a pond with octorock enemies positioned around it. Stand on the bank and take them out with careful shots from your bow, while keeping in mind the archers that linger on the rocks behind you.
- Once the nearest octopus enemies are eliminated, use cryonis to produce ice ledges you can hop along to safely cross the marsh (otherwise, you'll sink into it and die). Watch out for another octorock as you advance. It is off toward your right.
- Head to a second portion of marsh, with barrels along some of the ledges and another bokoblin archer to the far right. Its shots can produce brush fires as you proceed, even if they don't hit you directly.
- Start hopping carefully from one island to the next as you make your way around the soup. As you cross the largest of the islands, be prepared for some fire chuchu enemies to ambush you.
- Continue hopping and running carefully along the logs. As long as you're careful, you can avoid a slight misstep, but be careful not to jump squarely into the marsh, which would prove fatal.
- When you reach the far side and start forward again, the trial is cleared and the shrine is available to you.
How to solve the Maag Halan shrine puzzles and find the treasure chests
- Enter the shrine after clearing The Test of Wood.
- Head forward and open the treasure chest to obtain the Giant Ancient Core.
- Head for the exit, meet Maag Halan and collect your spirit orb.