Throughout Link’s Awakening, you’ll be trading goods between the various residents of Koholint Island. You’ll have to progress through the sequence as you continue through the game’s main story. The sequence starts early on in Mabe Village, and ends after you’ve completed Level 5 - Catfish’s Maw.
Below, we’ll walk you through every step of sequence and point out any points where you have to progress through the story to continue.
Before Level 3 - Key Cavern
Yoshi Doll > Ribbon > Dog Food > Banana > Stick
These are the first five items you’ll trade for. We covered these steps in our guide to finding the Slime Key, because you need the Banana to find the key that unlocks the Key Cavern.
- Win the Yoshi Doll from the Trendy Game (that frustrating crane game) in Mabe Village.
- Take the Yoshi Doll to Papahl’s House in Mabe Village to receive the Ribbon.
- Take the Ribbon to Madam MeowMeow’s (dog)house in Mabe Village to get the Dog Food.
- Take the Dog Food to Sale’s Banana Shop in Toronbo Shores to get a Banana.
- Give the Banana to Kiki the Monkey to get a Stick on your way into Kanalet Castle.
Before Level 4 - Angler’s Tunnel
Honeycomb > Pineapple > Hibiscus
We cover the next three steps in our guide to finding the Angler Key and our guide to Angler’s Tunnel. You’ll need the Honeycomb and the Pineapple to get the Angler Key, and you can pick up the Hibiscus on your way to Angler’s Tunnel.
- Find Tarin in Ukuku Prairie and trade the Stick for the Honeycomb.
- Talk to Chef Bear in Animal Village to trade the Honeycomb for the Pineapple.
- On your way to Angler Tunnel, trade the Pineapple to Papahl for the Hibiscus.
After Level 5 - Catfish’s Maw
Goat’s Letter > Broom > Fishing Hook > Necklace > Scale
The last five steps are detailed in our guide for finding the Boomerang and the Magnifying Glass.
- Talk to Christine in Animal Village to trade the Hibiscus for the Goat’s Letter.
- Go to Mr. Write northwest of the Mysterious Forest to trade Goat’s Letter for a Broom.
- Talk to Grandma Yahoo in Mabe Village to trade the Broom for a Fishing Hook. (Later in the game, Grandma Yahoo will move to the northeast corner of Animal Village. If she’s not in Mabe Village, you should check there instead.)
- Talk to the Fisherman in Martha’s Bay to trade the Fishing Hook for a Necklace. (If you’re having trouble finding him, we’ve got more detailed directions in our Boomerang guide here.)
- Talk to the Mermaid northeast of Catfish’s Maw to trade the Necklace for a Scale.
Go to the Mermaid Statue to get the Magnifying Glass
Once you have the scale, head northeast from the Mermaid, and loop down. When you reach the gap (that you can’t dash-jump across), use the Hookshot to cross. Continue up the the Mermaid Statue. Place the Scale, and it’ll move to reveal some stairs.
Downstairs, there are hidden enemies in the first room. Ignore any damage you take and just push your way up. Pick up the Magnifying Glass, and head back outside.
Meet Goriya to get the Boomerang
Warp to the Martha’s Bay pad and head west to Toronbo Shores. Walk along the water until you’re just southeast of Sale’s Banana Shop. Bomb the cracked wall to open a door.
Inside, talk to Goriya (who you can only see now that you’ve got the Magnifying Glass). He’ll trade you the Boomerang for what you have equipped in one of your slots. He won’t trade for just anything, though. Equip the Shovel that you picked up while finding the Slime Key. Trade him that for the Boomerang to complete the trading sequence.