Our Link’s Awakening Eagle’s Tower walkthrough shows you how to find the dungeon entrance, navigate every room, solve every puzzle, and beat every boss. We’ll also direct you to any useful items — like the compass, map, keys, chests, special items, and the instrument — along the way.
You’ll need the Bird Key to get inside, so make sure you’ve followed our guide to Frog’s Song of Soul and the Bird Key before now.
Table of contents
- A Heart Piece and two Secret Seashells in Tal Tal Heights
- Eagle’s Tower entrance
- Eagle’s Tower item and boss locations
- Find the Eagle’s Tower Map
- Find the Stone Beak
- Get the Mirror Shield
- Find a Small Key and return to the lever room
- Destroy the first pillar
- Destroy the second pillar
- Find the compass
- Destroy the third pillar
- Go to the Red Hinox mini-boss fight
- Red Hinox mini-boss fight
- Destroy the fourth pillar
- Go to the Grim Creeper mini-boss fight
- Grim Creeper mini-boss fight
- Find the Nightmare Key and unlock the Nightmare door
- Pick up some Secret Medicine (optional)
- Reach the roof
- Evil Eagle
- Collect the Organ of Evening Calm
A Heart Piece and two Secret Seashells in Tal Tal Heights
Since you’re already up here, we’ll direct you to several special items in the vicinity. each of which we’ve labeled on the map. (Scroll down to the next section to enter Eagle’s Tower.)
The numbers and labels on the map above correspond to the numbers in the list below. You can also scroll the gallery to get a closer view of everything.
- Get to the shack at the top of Tal Tal Heights. It’s right above where you picked up the Bird Key.
- Rooster across the broken bridge all the way to the west to find a Heart Piece.
- Lift all the rocks to find a Secret Seashell and open your path.
- Open the chest for a Secret Seashell.
- Shove the stones until you can open all five chests. Use the image in the gallery above to help. The first four will have Green Zols. The fifth one will have 100 rupees.
- Talk to the Owl Statue to learn that You are near the Eagle’s Tower. Beware of the Bird!
Eagle’s Tower entrance
Climb the ladder next to the Owl Statue, and go into the tunnel. Follow the (only) path through, going in and out several times. (The numbers in the map above correspond to the order in which you’ll enter and exit several times.) Use your Hookshot (not the Rooster) in the cave with the gap in the middle.
After you exit the cave(s) for the last time, go west and clear the rock from in front of the keyhole. Use the Bird Key.
Eagle’s Tower item and boss locations
The map above shows an overview of the Face Shrine dungeon. We’ve marked the locations of the important items like the Compass, Stone Beak, and Map, as well as the Mirror Shield. We’ve also marked the boss fights.
Find the Eagle’s Tower Map
- From the entrance on the first floor (1F), go east two rooms, and clear the enemies (take out the Anti-Fairy with your Boomerang) to get a Small Key.
- Go through the locked door in the upper right and up the stairs to the second floor (2F). Go up.
- Pull the lever and head west and north.
- Solve the chess puzzle (see our image below).
- Pick up the black knight. Stand on the left socket, and throw it to the right.
- Pick up the white knight. Go to the top left corner of the room, and move down one tile. Throw the knight down.
Open the chest to find the Eagle’s Tower Map.
Find the Stone Beak
- From the chess puzzle where you found the Map on 2F, go south.
- Fall through the hole in the floor to return to the first floor (1F) of the dungeon.
- Follow the orange brick road two rooms to the left, and then turn down. (You could also just retrace your steps, but that’s nowhere near as fun.)
Open the chest for the Stone Beak.
Get the Mirror Shield
- From the Stone Beak chest, go up, and then as far right as you can.
- Hit the crystal to turn it blue.
- Go through the door you unlocked earlier and head up the stairs (again) to 2F.
- Open the chest for the Mirror Shield.
Find a Small Key and return to the lever room
- In the same room where you picked up the Mirror Shield, fall through the hole in the floor next to the crystal to drop down to 1F.
- Walk up as far as you can, and open the chest for a Small Key. Drop off the ledge, and use your new shield to handle the Beamos. Take out the Anti-Kirby with your Boomerang (it’s possible to do this with bombs, but it’s far easier to just use your Boomerang).
- Go up the stairs back to the second floor (2F). This will bring you back to where you picked up the Map.
- Go south and east into the lever room.
- Talk to the owl to learn The riddle is solved when the pillars fall.
Destroy the first pillar
Grab the ball from the platform and toss it near the blocks on the left. Pull the lever all the way out, pick up the ball on your way past, and exit through the blocks on the left.
In the next room, throw it at the pillar to knock it down.
Destroy the second pillar
From the first pillar, pick up the ball again and go down one room. Hit the pillar there.
Find the compass
From the second pillar, pick up your ball and head back up. Shove the block on the left down. Go left with the ball.
Hit each of the Three-of-a-Kind so that they’re all showing the same suit to drop the chest with the Compass.
Destroy the third pillar
- In the Three-of-a-Kind room:
(a) Toss your ball over the barrier in the Three-of-a-Kind room
(b) Head through the door at the top of the room to go down to the first floor (1F)
- Handle the Anti-Kirby, and follow the path west and south until you see some stairs.
- Climb the stairs up to the second floor (2F).
- Go through the one-way door just to the left of where you exit, dodge the Flying Tiles, and go east.
- Pick up the ball, and destroy the third pillar.
Go to the Red Hinox mini-boss fight
- In the third pillar’s room:
(a) Shove the block at the bottom of the room to the right and into the hole.
(b) Pick up the ball, toss it across the hole to the right, and then jump across to follow it.
(c) Pick up your ball, and go right.
(d) Shove the next block out of your way and go down for two rooms.
- Toss the ball over the barrier around the crystal.
- Return to the Three-of-a-Kind room to get down to the first floor again (1F).
- Head west and south, and take the stairs (again) back to 2F.
- In the room with the one-way door, go south.
Red Hinox mini-boss fight
This fight is similar to the last time you took on a Hinox way back in Bottle Grotto. It’ll throw bombs and try to grab you.
If (when) you get tossed and fall through the floor, go north to find the stairs again, and then go south to return to the fight.
Use your Boomerang and jump around to room to avoid getting grabbed. It’ll take several hits, but the Boomerang lets you keep your distance.
Destroy the fourth pillar
- Pick up the Small Key after you defeat the Red Hinox mini-boss. Fall through either of the holes on the left side of the room down to the first floor (1F).
- Go north as far as you can, and open the chest for a Secret Seashell. Retrace your steps to the Red Hinox room on 2F, and go east into the next room.
- (a) Match up the Three-of-a-Kind to drop a chest you can’t reach
(b) Go east
(c) Pick up the ball
(d) Return to the west
(e) Toss it north across the barriers at the top right of the room
- Go through the one-way door, and dodge your way through the door on the east.
- (a) Place a bomb along the wall in the lower left corner and go through the door you open.
(b) Go down, bomb another wall, and go through again.
(c) Talk to the Owl Statue to hear “If you can’t go over the poles, try throwing things you have in your hands.”
- Hookshot to the chest on the right, and open it for a bomb. Pick up your ball, go up, and destroy the fourth and final pillar.
Go to the Grim Creeper mini-boss fight
- Return to the entrance (1F) with Manbo’s Mambo.
- Go up the stairs to the second floor (2F).
- Go south, unlock the block, climb the stairs, and drop off the platform to the left.
- Hit the crystal, and go up the stairs to the third floor (3F).
- Go north and east.
Grim Creeper mini-boss fight
You won’t fight the Grim Creeper directly. Instead, immediately head to a corner (we prefer the upper left). Your only goal is to slash at and hit all six of his Big Keese buddies. If you miss any, you’ll have to try again.
Once you hit all six, the door will open.
Find the Nightmare Key and unlock the Nightmare door
From the Grim Creeper mini-boss fight, go north. Take out the Sparks. Push the two blocks toward each other for the Nightmare Key.
Hit the crystal once to turn it orange. Go west and cross the room to unlock the Nightmare Door.
Pick up some Secret Medicine (optional)
Only do this if you don’t already have some Secret Medicine — you can’t pick up any more, so this would be a pointless trip. Just remember it’s here if you need it.
Just through the Nightmare door, go north and then east (and remember that you can use your Mirror Shield on the Beamos).
To solve the chess puzzle, stand under the left socket and throw the white knight to the right. Then, stand under the right socket and throw the black knight to the left.
A chest will drop that contains some Secret Medicine.
Reach the roof
- From the Nightmare door on 3F, climb the steps onto the platform in the upper left corner.
- Hookshot to the right.
- Climb the stairs on the right side of the platform and then the ladder to the roof.
The short version of our advice for this fight is just: use your Boomerang. As the Evil Eagle passes back and forth across the screen, throw your Boomerang at it.
When the Eagle approaches from the side, approach it and keep your shield up. It’ll blow you around and shoot pointy feathers at you.
If (when) you get pushed off the tower, aim to land in the middle to avoid the spikes. Climb the ladder back up and rejoin the fight.
It’ll also swoop at you and claw with its talons. Block with your shield, and try to sneak in a hit or two with your Boomerang.
And that’s it. Just keep hitting it with your Boomerang.
Collect the Organ of Evening Calm
Climb back down the ladder, and go back inside. Drop off the platform to the right into the blocked-off area. Pick up the Organ of Evening Calm.
You’ll get your next clue: The music of the ocarina leads …